In October, 2009, thanks to a lead from Jon Pearkins, Rock Radio Scrapbook was able to track down Darell Provost, the former CKGM, CKRC and CFRW deejay. Though many years removed from his Top 40 days, he still remembered his time in radio vividly...

"I started off working at a small radio station in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba called CFRY.


 I remember the day, as it was the day "My Dream Came True"  It was July, 1966.

I learned a lot there. My pay was $150.00 per month. $75.00 of that was for board and room for a bedroom above a convenience store.
I quickly moved into the morning slot 6:00 to 10:00 a.m.
It played country and western music primarily and of course lots of religious programs to help pay the bills.
A gentleman named Vince Edwards took me under his wing and taught me how to write news copy and was I often sent off to interview the likes of Tommy Douglas and Kitty Wells, a C&W singer of note in those days.
As for the D.J and announcing aspect I already near completing a radio and tv announcing course from "The National Institute of Broadcasting. I graduated in February 1967.
I did commercials, swept the floor, organized the music library, you name it.
One day, about a year later, I called CKRC, and got to speak to a DJ there called Ron Legge. I asked if he knew of any openings and as luck would have it he said that he knew that the all night DJ was leaving and to quote him "You better get your bum down here right away."
I called the program director Bob Washington, who ended up being the voice for K-Tel for many years.
I offered to send him an air check, he said it wasn't necessary as he would just listen to me on the air.
I week later I got the job. All night Mid-6 AM.
Big pay raise too.. I am now making $600.00 a month (ha ha).
I worked there for a year.and then moved to CFRW.
This was very interesting period of time. I had gotten an apartment and one evening got a call from a singer named Burton Cummings.
There was no fame or hit records at that time and he became a room mate of mine.
As did a man named Jim Millican who ended up producing "The Radio Show" on the CBC.
The sixties were well under way and the band "The Guess Who" became a part of it.
Another dramatic change for me. Gold records on my apartment wall etc.
CFRW on the other hand was a stick in the mud classical music station going nowhere.
Duff Roman who later became the Program Director of Chum in Toronto called and asked if I would consider crossing the street and come to work for him as he felt the only to save the station was to turn into a "Rock n Roll" station.
This was a gradual change though. I saw the challenge there and an opportunity to mould a station into something that reflected the times.
Singles were being replaced by albums. Bands where getting to be a very prominent element in the culture and music of the times.
I worked for awhile for nothing and lived off my savings. The station one day announced it was going bankupt. I ended up receiving a payment of $150.00 as a settlement for about three months work. So much for the "cash register" aspect to being in radio.
Jim Pattison ended up buying it for $150,000.00 and decided to let us turn it into the rock n' roll station we had dreamed of.
I believe he ended up selling for a million or so.
We really accomplished the impossible and turned into the most listened to station in town.
A gentleman by the named of Gord Morrison who was a record rep for United Artists came along, mostly because of the fame The Guess Who were receiving with their hits "These Eyes" Undun" etc.
He mentioned that CKGM were looking for a D.J in Montreal and asked if I was interested.
Weekends all night.
I realized that the only way way to maintain a career in broadcasting was to get into a major market and at that time I thought this would be my lifes' work.
Away I went to Montreal. I arrived there just after "Give Peace A Chance" was recorded by John Lennon.
I hung out at McGill with some journalism students and then one day I received a bomb threat from the FLQ.
Martial law was declared by Mr. Trudeau and I began doing some soul searching as to whether this was the career for me.
I received an offer from The RKO Radio Chain in the USA paying about $60,000 a year.
I declined for a couple of contractual reasons that I won't get into here.
So... I left broadcasting.
I ended up working in a recording studio in Winnipeg and after Burton left "The Guess Who" I travelled extensively throughout the USA and Canada during the "Saturday Night Fever" days.
I worked independently through CBS Records in Los Angeles and Shep Gordon manager of Alice Cooper.
What a life. My dreams came true.
I am now 60 years old.
But still think like a 29 year old.
I am a better person for all of this.
More well read and sophisticated in may ways.
A university can never teach one these things and I am grateful for the opportunity that the times provided me."